Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontology of Rough Sets

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Mike Bennett <mbennett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 13:49:24 +0000
I guess the challenge for ontologists is whether we have ways of
making it less    (01)

>  awkward, inconvenient, or inefficient    (02)

than the more brittle traditional data modeling.    (03)

I sometimes wonder if something more formal can be done with the
idea of Peircean thirdness (context) such that we can formalise
the relations of different kinds of what we call context, to
independent and relative terms. Especially as a lot of these
relate to temporal concepts, commitments, affordances and so on.    (04)

Mike    (05)

On 26/01/2011 12:44, John F. Sowa wrote:
> Ronald and Pat,
>
> There is no such thing as a single, ideal ontology that captures
> every useful way of looking at everything from every possible
> perspective and granularity for every purpose.
>
> There are many different theories of contexts, situations,
> and situated communicating and interacting agents.  Those
> systems, theories, and implementations are valuable and
> efficient for many kinds of purposes.  In fact, they reflect
> the way people happen to be situated in some finite chunk
> of reality from one moment to the next.
>
> But other representations are useful for different applications,
> and there are systematic ways of converting one to the other.
> In particular, it's important to communicate with situated agents
> in terms of the situation in which they are operating.
>
> When an accident is imminent, you don't want to send a driver
> (or the car) a fully-qualified 4D specification.  You just want
> to say "STOP!"
>
> Fundamental principle:  Any single uniform universal representation
> is guaranteed to be awkward, inconvenient, or inefficient for a huge
> number of critical applications.
>
> John

Mike Bennett
Director
Hypercube Ltd.
89 Worship Street
London EC2A 2BF
Tel: +44 (0) 20 7917 9522
Mob: +44 (0) 7721 420 730
www.hypercube.co.uk
Registered in England and Wales No. 2461068    (07)