Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontology of Rough Sets

To: edbark@xxxxxxxx, "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "doug foxvog" <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2011 23:57:59 -0500 (EST)
>>> A standard distinction between a set and a class, is that membership
>>> in a [set] cannot change, while membership in a class can.
>>>

>> I think it's useful to distinguish two claims when it comes to the
>> identity conditions of classes:
>>
>> (1) Classes are not extensional (i.e., distinct classes can have the
>> same members/instances)
>>
>> (2) Classes can change their membership.
>>
>> In the formal semantics of a number of KR languages, (1) is true but,
>> strictly speaking at least, (2) is not.  Notably, classes in OWL are
>> explicitly non-extensional: since a class is stipulated only to *have*
>> an extension in OWL's formal semantics, nothing prevents distinct
>> classes from having the same extension.  The same is true of RDF.
>> However, simply because there is no formal notion of change built into
>> OWL's semantics, there is no possibility, within a given interpretation,
>> that a class change its membership.  As noted in an earlier message in
>> this thread, without augmenting the notion of an OWL interpretation
>> somehow, change can only be represented formally in terms of something
>> like a series of interpretations that are thought of as temporally
>> ordered.  That said, (2) does seem to be a strong *intuitive* idea in
>> the KR, AI, and database communities.    (01)

> The particular problem I have recently got involved in is the intrusion
> of temporal concepts into would-be ontologies in business applications.
> In the supply-chain area, for example, it is important to be able to
> talk about schedules and shipments being "late".  Getting past the
> indexical issues, which are fixed by translating the intuitive "now"
> into specific time relationships, the particular problem is that
> shipments and orders do change state, and actions are taken on the basis
> of reclassification.    (02)

Fine.    (03)

> A major problem for us is that the industry folk throw these concepts
> into what was an ontology for the "snapshot" model of decision-making --
> the state of the world at the time the decision is to be made.  This
> gives rise to formalizing ideas like "proposition X is false at time A
> and true at time B."  And that problem arises from the idea that states
> of things are characterized by propositions, which seems to be
> fundamental to applications of ontologies.    (04)

This is fine for representing states.    (05)

> The 4D idea that a thing in
> a different state is a different thing,    (06)

What is the need to consider a thing in a different state a different
thing?    (07)

This is not what the ontological community considers to be a 4D idea.
A 4D object, in this context, is an object that can have different
state at different times.    (08)

> and 'objects' are actually
> sequences (or more generally, lattices) of things in states,    (09)

This is a different model, that has a far different definition of "thing"
than is generally used in computer ontologies.    (010)

> is a means of producing a formal semantics,    (011)

One could certainly produce a formal semantics using such definitions.    (012)

> but it is totally out of line with the
> intuition of the domain experts.    (013)

Then it is probably not worth while to present such a model to them.
If you want to use it "under the covers"/"inside the black box",
because it makes calculations easier, fine.  But don't inflict such
a model on domain experts.  I would suggest it also be hidden from
the ontology builders and merely be maintained as part of the inference
engine.    (014)

> They cannot then "validate" the
> ontology -- they don't understand it.    (015)

> I have said in that forum that solving the problem is beyond my
> expertise.  It is my conviction that the problem is not really "time",
> but rather "change of state" or "alternative states", and in that sense,
> "time" is a means of labeling "alternative possible worlds".    (016)

Time is certainly one way of marking alternative states.    (017)

> All we are saying is that the intuitive notion of change is endemic to a
> lot of ontology applications.    (018)

Certainly.    (019)

> We can usually constrain the immediate application
> to avoid the problem or create a convenient work-around,    (020)

If you are only using the data with a single reference time period,
the of work-around need not consider viewing the data in another
temporal context.  But if the data is to be dealt with for another
time period, that should affect the work-around method chosen.    (021)

> but that usually means that the next application
> the business wants to use the ontology for requires re-writing it.    (022)

This suggests that the issue of state needs to be handled in a
different manner.  Perhaps the date references need to be kept as dates
and an object representing the current date be included in the
knowledge base for each analysis period.    (023)

-- doug f    (024)

> -Ed
>
> "Mathematicians are like Frenchmen.  Whatever you say to them they
>  translate into their own language and at once it becomes something
>  entirely different."
>   -- Goethe
>

>> Finally, the idea that sets are extensional and classes are not is
>> definitely not standard among logicians and mathematicians, who
>> typically associate the notion of class with theories like VNBG, wherein
>> both classes and sets are extensional.
>>
>> -chris
>>

> --
> Edward J. Barkmeyer                        Email: edbark@xxxxxxxx
> National Institute of Standards & Technology
> Manufacturing Systems Integration Division
> 100 Bureau Drive, Stop 8263                Tel: +1 301-975-3528
> Gaithersburg, MD 20899-8263                Cel: +1 240-672-5800
>
> "The opinions expressed above do not reflect consensus of NIST,
>  and have not been reviewed by any Government authority."

doug foxvog    doug@xxxxxxxxxx   http://ProgressiveAustin.org    (026)

"I speak as an American to the leaders of my own nation. The great
initiative in this war is ours. The initiative to stop it must be ours."
    - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.