Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontology of Rough Sets

To: <edbark@xxxxxxxx>, <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Chris Partridge <partridge.csj@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2011 00:19:35 -0000
Hi Ed,    (01)

Comments below.    (02)

Chris    (03)

If one is 4D, then it does not acquire properties - it always has the
properties. One needs to adopt a 3D approach to allow for this.
It seems to me you are giving a 3D view here.
Nothing wrong with that - provide you acknowledge your stance.
One could also say that one is 4D, but what is happening is epistemic - one
gains knowledge about these properties at some point.
Again, one needs to acknowledge the stance one is taking.    (05)

All of this can be handled by ordinary
> relations, a few of which are ternary.  But it becomes "late" when the
> delivery date passes and the delivery has not happened.  The business
rules
> are written in terms of a class called 'late shipment', which can be
defined in
> terms of other properties of a shipment, with a bit of trickery for the
'time is
> past' relation.  But the shipment does not satisfy the class predicate
when it
> is created.      (06)

Which shipment in which possible world?
The shipment described by the contract (in the possible world defined by the
contract) cannot be late - by definition.
In other possible worlds, its counterpart is late.    (07)

It comes to satisfy the class predicate precisely via the trickery for
> 'time is past'.      (08)

What trickery? I cannot see any.
There are times when one needs the indexicality of 'now', but not here as
far as I can tell.    (09)

And the recovery actions could involve substitute shipments
> and reassignment of some other properties of the original shipment.  We
> can and do timestamp all these decisions and changes.  The problem is the
> relationship of the whole knowledge about the shipment to certain
> predicates and other relations, which are both true and false if you don't
> specify a time interval.  The problem is that they resemble other
> propositions about the shipment that are constant -- true or false for all
> time -- because they refer to intrinsic/essential properties of the
shipment
> and not to accidental properties.    (010)

If one wants to include intrinsic/essential/accidental properties this
involves taking a position. Fine, but acknowledge the position and do not
presume that other people also have to adopt that position.    (011)

> Put another way there are wffs that look like propositions and are of four
> kinds:
>  - those that are constantly true or false over all (interesting) time
>  - those that explicitly refer to time and state and are thus constantly
true or
> false
>  - those that implicitly refer to time and explicitly refer to 'state',
like 'late
> shipment', for which we may have work-arounds
>  - those that cannot be evaluated because they refer to state without time    (012)

This only works if one adopts the very particular stance you are proposing.
In a 4D/possible worlds stance your statements are just plain false.
Therefore, I assume you are not adopting this stance. As I said earlier, it
is important to qualify statements like this with the stance you are
adopting.    (013)

> I would like to disallow the last group, because there is no meaningful
> semantic model for them, but I don't know how to characterize them.  And
> the problem is that when you inject time concepts into a knowledge base
> that was originally about instantaneous decisions, you find 'propositions'
> like that, primarily in rule antecedents.
>
> > Maybe our knowledge of the world changes states - however, as I said
> > in an earlier mail on this thread, that is epistemic.
> >

> This has nothing to do with epistemics.  The knowledge being processed is
> what we have recorded as "fact", and any relationship to the "real world"
is
> dependent on unmodeled factors.  It is possible that the shipment is
really
> in Baltimore, even though we have recorded that it is in Memphis.
Handling
> correction to the knowledge base is a different problem.    (014)

I think, from your example, you are looking at a different aspect of
epistemic.
The epistemic issue here is that systemically we do not know the future. So
when we look at the contact, we know it describes a possible world, we just
do not know whether it describes the actual world - i.e. the one we are in.
By epistemic here, I do not mean we have made a mistake in what we have
recorded (e.g. it is in Baltimore not Memphis) - just that we do not know
something.    (015)

> (We do have a project dealing with capturing assertions from supply-chain
> messages from multiple sources in IKL and evaluating their consistency and
> credibility, but that is an entirely different issue.)
>
> > As you say, temporal words can sometimes be about temporal and modal
> > relationships.
> >
> > EB> The 4D idea that a thing in a different state is a different
> > EB> thing,
> >
> >> and 'objects' are actually sequences (or more generally, lattices) of
> >> things in states
> >>

> > Just to be clear, some 4D approaches build up the 4D objects from
> > their states.
> > However, I think it is often simpler to take the objects as just 4D
> > simpliciter. If one wants to consider their states, then these are
> > temporal slices that are also 4D simpliciter.
> >
> > EB>, but it is totally out of
> >
> >> line with the intuition of the domain experts.
> >>

> > Jubien starts his book on properties with several examples of 4D talk
> > in everyday natural language. There seems to be a growing consensus
> > that talk about events and processes are naturally 4D. The first half
> > of the football match, etc. I'm sure football referees intuitions can
> > stretch to first halves.
> >

> People have no problem with the idea of happenings in time, and states of
> the world in time.  No one has a problem with models of Chris Partridge,
or
> a shipment, playing a role in a proposition that describes a situation and
> refers to time.  The intuition failure is the model of states of an
individual
> thing in time.  They don't think of Chris Partridge, or a shipment of
goods, as
> a 'situation' in time.    (016)

Not sure what you mean here by a 'situation' in time.
We often think of people, especially historical figures, as situated in
time, and having states - Chris Partridge's childhood - Picasso's blue
period.
If you mean we have conflicting intuitions, I agree.
Also, not sure why you privilege domain expert's and their intuition.
Intuitions are easily tutored - so not a good basis for much.
Maybe, I have missed the point - would an example help?    (017)