Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontology of Rough Sets

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 02:25:46 -0600

On Jan 23, 2011, at 5:10 AM, Matthew West wrote:    (01)

> Dear Pat,
>
> This could be misinterpreted.
>
>>> A 4D object, in this context, is an object that can have different
>>> state at different times.
>>
>> No, that is a continuant. In a very strict 4D model, there is no single
>> 'thing' that has the various states. (Although I hasten to add, it is very
>> convenient to be somewhat less strict than this. I mean only to make the
>> conceptual distinction.)
>
> MW: As you know, there are two versions of 4D, one of which, stage theory,
> only admits timeslices with infinitesimal temporal thickness called stages
> which can be strung together, the other, perdurantism, allows objects to be
> extended in time as well as space, and that one spatio-temporal extent can
> be a part of another.    (02)

Yes. Stage theory is the 'very strict' version I was referring to.     (03)

> MW: The ambiguity comes from "there is no single 'thing' that has the
> various states".
>
> MW: This is true if one is talking about stage theory - there are only the
> various stages. However, it is not true for perdurantism, provided one
> interprets "has" as meaning "has temporal parts".    (04)

But I still think that this is a misleading way to express the intuition. In
4-D perdurantism, there really is nothing that has different *states*. An
enduring object which retains its identity through time and whose properties
change with time is a continuant, and continuants are incoherent in a 4-D
universe. Put another way, a temporal part is not a state.     (05)

But I am no doubt splitting hairs at this point.     (06)

Pat    (07)

phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes    (09)