Re: [ontolog-forum] GPS coordinates in an ontology?

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Chris Partridge <partridge.csj@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 22:45:58 +0100
Hi Doug,    (01)

I think we may be talking at cross purposes.    (02)

When, I said:
CP> > In practice, it is not straight-forward to do it the other way around
CP> > - though (of course) it can be done.    (03)

I was talking about 3D + 1 data, where the spatial extent is stored
separately from the temporal extent.
One example would be Air Control Means - in Air Defence.
Here the spatial extent is typically booked for a period of time. This means
the temporal boundaries are given by (stored as) a start and end time - so
the whole boundary is at one time. The shape is a time-slice of the extended
spatial extent.
When one specifies a 4D shape, one can have boundaries that cut across time.
A standard example would be an Air Control Means (of whatever shape) that
followed an aircraft around - which is not a time-slice (at least to the
traditional frames of reference). (Try defining how to store this this using
the standard 3D + 1 data layout.)
Booking time-slices is not a very efficient use of airspace.
So the 3D + 1 approach makes some efficient uses of airspace difficult to
specify. (In practice, in the systems we looked at, these efficient
airspaces were described in text fields - as the data layout could not
support it (easily?).)     (04)

DF> These are different issues.  The full data exists in both 3D+1 and 4D.    (05)

WRT the comments on the Berlin data - my point was that the data (e.g.
Displayed as N52 31'27", E13  24'37") has no specified altitude or time - so
one needs to infer (if one can) these to get the 3D +1 data - and then the
4D. And this is not always easy, or possible, automatically when just given
the data. In our experience, when working with the datasets, it was not
uncommon to  have only some of the co-ordinates stored (often 2D and 3D). It
was possible in some cases, to work out an algorithm for inferring these
from the given data, but not always.
One way of reading what you are saying above is that given a dataset with 2D
or 3D data, then there is always an algorithm to calculate the 4D (or 3D +
1) extent from the data in the dataset (which is usually all the system has
access to). I assume that you cannot mean this as it is false.    (06)

I note that in your discussion, you talk about a "surface location from
elsewhere". Getting data "from elsewhere" is often not a practical option
with operational systems - though adding in a geoid or similar (for surface
location) is common. Maybe this is what gives rise to the 'cross-purposes'.    (07)

Regards,
Chris    (08)

Berlin.