Re: [ontolog-forum] Webs and Fabrics

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pavithra <pavithra_kenjige@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 13:20:53 -0700 (PDT)

Dr. Sowa,

Did you know Barry Boehm?

Some of the article from "Mythical Man month"  was discussed in 1990 as part of Software Engineering / project management curriculum along with Barry Boehm. Software Cost / duration / estimation model at GMU.  GMU had bought Wang institute and was one of the first few schools to offer a software engineering program vs computer science and computer engineering program.  Barry Boehm had also developed the spiral model for software development life cycle that rational used at a later time.

I read Fred Brooks's newer article " No silver bullet" too..

I do agree with his opinion and have kept that in mind during software project planning.

 However efficiency in coding ( lines of code, and duration taken to develop and effectiveness of algorithm, no errors ..)  varies according to each person to a great degree.    So even if you hire 50 bad programmers at the beginning of the project, and decide to replace or add two good ones when behind the schedule, one may be still making a good decision.   But I also had people with no orientation towards computer programming, but were business analysts ( good communicators), had good language skills and people oriented, did not develop all the business requirements or rules well.  . They consistently complained about programmers too.. because they did not understand how to capture things like first order logic, or second order logic and relationships or parent child relationship and dependency and constraints and  missed documenting them in business verbiage as part of the business requirements document.    One can not cook up business rules while coding, if they were not documented and formalized and adopted by the business folks in an organization.

We have used custom built business rules, requirement gathering software in the industry much before rationale rose built one.    But were they captured well.. ??   That depended on the business analyst.

I think if business Analysts and system architects are very efficient, coding gets much more easier and simpler..

I agree that an architectural concept that ( the layered cake ) model that Tim BL proposed and all of us have kept in mind,  and that itself does not constitute a framework.   People have been talking of  Web 3.0 and the capabilities they like to see on the web.    Some of them are in place without actually meddling with Semantic web technologies..

Re evaluate how the world wants to use  web again and  formalize Semantic Web with appropriate framework and methodologies may be a good idea?   May be  NIST can provide founding for it.. ??    ( Count me in if you get any funding.. )!   I have to re learn from the all the links that you have provided about Tim B L again to refresh my thoughts,   So you may not hear from me soon.

Regards,

Pavithra