Re: [ontolog-forum] Webs and Fabrics

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 14:32:20 -0400
Pavithra,    (01)

I changed the subject line back to show its connection to the
*integration*.  How can all these tools be integrated in a
systematic development methodology?    (02)

Anybody can throw things into a pot.  That's what happens when you
have too many cooks.  They spoil the broth by throwing in stuff
without any thought or planning or testing or demonstrations about
how the new stuff is related to anything else already in the pot or
to any use cases about how the stuff in the pot is going to be served.    (03)

> In my opinion,  RIF should capture all the business rules and policies
> by industry.   And Ontology should address the entity, structure and
> relationships..     They are side by side on Semantic Web Layered cake ..    (04)

Putting things side by side is not integration.    (05)

RIF is one more example of 1980s technology that has not been integrated
with the other components of the SemWeb or with other software that
people have been developing and using over the past half century.    (06)

Please reread Fred Brooks's _Mythical Man Month_.  As you read it,
just replace any reference to IBM committees with the W3C, and you
can see the problem.    (07)

Fundamental principle:  Large committees are good at evaluating and
critiquing a system, but they are incapable of designing a smoothly
functioning integrated system.    (08)