Re: [ontolog-forum] Semantic Enterprise Architecture

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Ian Bailey" <ian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2010 09:18:06 +0100

Hi,

The defence departments of Australia, Canada, Sweden, UK and US have been working on a formal ontology to support their enterprise architecture efforts – www.ideasgroup.org

All we’ve released so far is the foundation - http://www.ideasgroup.org/foundation/ - but quite a bit more has been done on building patterns for processes, agents, information, systems, capabilities, etc. The foundation has been used to underpin the DoDAF 2.0 meta-model (DM2) – though the resulting meta-model isn’t what most people would recognise as an ontology. The Swedish Armed Forces are investigating how the MODAF Meta-Model (currently a UML Profile) could be re-engineered into a formal ontology based on IDEAS.

John Zachman was over in the UK in March for the Integrated-EA conference and had some discussions with UK MOD on ontology and enterprise architecture. From the brief conversations I had with him, he seemed very enthusiastic about ontology in general.

At the same conference, Jonathan Carter and Jason Powell presented on an open-source approach to EA development using Protege – see http://www.integrated-ea.com/Previous-Years

Back in 2007, I presented on ontology and EA at the Open Group and EA Europe conferences – slides are here: http://www.modelfutures.com/Publications/

That, and the paper from Top Quadrant (which has already been mentioned in this thread) are the only efforts I’m aware of for “semantic EA”.

Hope this helps

--

Ian Bailey

Model Futures