Re: [ontolog-forum] What does the "Semantic web" experience encompass?

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Ron Wheeler <rwheeler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 16:44:41 -0400
David Eddy wrote:
> Ron -
>
> On Mar 31, 2010, at 8:43 AM, Ron Wheeler wrote:
>

>>> Pros: Doable, would be a dynamic target based on the fact all of us
>>> (including spamdexers) would be able to influence the system.
>>> Cons: This was patented over a decade ago (I filed one patent).
>>>
>> You should be suing Google. If you use their search engine, this is
>> what
>> it does. As you type, it suggests contexts to you in the search box.
>> I am not sure what their next step will be but it appears that you
>> will
>> eventually have a user of your patent.
>>

>  From what I see of that Google feature, all it does is list words/
> phrases BEGINNING with what I've begun to type.  I'm still unclear if
> it is only presenting me phrases that I've typed or phrases collected
> elsewhere.

elsewhere. I could not have possibly types all that.
> When I type "zip" (as in "zip code") it does NOT also offer "postal
> code"
>

> Inside the firewall, what we need to get to (remember a primary
> economic driver here is the nasty costs of interoperability... e.g I
> make a change in Silo A, not knowing it impacts something in Silo Z),
> what we need to have is a process whereby, when I begin to query on
> "social security number", the pre-query, context setting mechanism
> pushes back (offers a drop down list like Google?) it offers SSN,
> TIN, EIN, empl_ID, soc_sec_no, SOC-SEC-NO, taxid, SIN, .... allowing
> you to broaden/narrow your query depending on your needs.

I am not sure what you can do if you install Google behind your firewall.    (01)

http://code.google.com/apis/searchappliance/documentation/50/index.html    (02)

Can you seed it with your terms and relations?
How fast does it learn from your own users picking results from further
down the list or mixing search terms together.
I have never installed one but I bet they are pretty good at "learning"
your documentation's terms and relationships.    (03)

Now that you have written down what you would like it to do in the
public domain, I guess that we just have to wait until Google announces
it. :-)    (04)

How many Google researchers/developers are working on adding ontology to
Google?    (05)

Ron    (06)