Re: [ontolog-forum] What does the "Semantic web" experience encompass?

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: David Eddy <deddy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 13:31:41 -0400
Duane -    (01)

On Mar 31, 2010, at 12:43 PM, Duane Nickull wrote:    (02)

I use keyword & tag as synonyms.    (03)

Although I see this assumption would be a little difficult to squeeze
out of WordNet,
where keyword is spelled key word & not associated with tag.    (04)

> Watching how we collectively interact
> is more important than weighting keywords, tags etc.    (05)

One of the unaddressed issues with tags is that language moves over
time.    (06)

e.g.  EAM > ADP > EDP > MIS > IT > IS  > ?Cloud Computing?    (07)

>> Are there tagging disambiguation mechanisms?  I certainly haven't
>> found any &
>> I've been using tags for 20 years.
> DN: Tagging is never going to be 100% accurate.  Even if you agree
> on a term
> and tag for a resource, in differing contexts it is not going to
> work.  You
> may not find what I find "funny".    (08)

My personal progression with tagging...    (09)

In 1990 I started to use a Macintosh tool that offered tags (labeled
keywords in their
lexicon) in this form:    (010)

{Keyname=Keyword}    (011)

example  {Industry=Consultancy}    (012)

There was a maximum of 11 Keynames (which was not a practical
restriction)
& unlimited Keywords as far as I can tell.    (013)

Given this product was built on the whimpy mid 1980s Mac platform,
this tagging
approach was very robust.  I could easily find stuff that I'd
forgotten for years.    (014)

BUT... over time I accumulated some 800 Keywords.  There was no
management
mechanism other than my personal diligence, or lack thereof.    (015)

In 2006 I shifted to a product with a keyword/tagging mechanism
that's about on
par with the 1985 (twenty years earlier) functionality.  It's better,
but not hugely better.    (016)

With the new system I promptly stepped into this cow-pie... I put in
a tag for
"SaaS" (software as a service) & began collecting companies with that
tag.
Time passed & I  then put in a tag for "Cloud Computing" & began
collecting
companies.    (017)

THEN... I happened to notice that I had BOTH "Cloud Computing" and
"Saas"
when (at least in my context) these are synonyms.  [I have had an
argument
that Cloud & SaaS are in fact different... but not for my context.]    (018)

Again there is no mechanism to manage the collection of tags other
than by
eyeball.  At least one obvious challenge is the "below the fold"
issue... Cloud
Computing is at the top of a long list & SaaS is at the bottom.  Out-
of-sight
out-of-mind rules.    (019)

In an ideal situation there would be some sort of catalog librarian
function in
place... when an allegedly "new" tag is presented the FIRST response is
to assume it's LIKE something I already have.    (020)

So... to date...    (021)

keywords/tags lack a disambiguation/multiple meanings mechanism    (022)

they also lack a redundancy control mechanism    (023)

David Eddy
deddy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx    (024)

781-455-0949    (025)