Re: [ontolog-forum] UML Meta-Model and Notation

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: David Eddy <deddy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 16:27:48 -0400
Jim -    (01)

On Mar 19, 2010, at 12:35 PM, Jim Rhyne wrote:    (02)

> Some of us hope that we can use a "curated
> vocabulary" approach to address it. In this approach, the SMEs and
> reference
> users are not exposed to this kind of terminology.    (03)

Could you please to explain/expound what you mean by "curated
vocabulary"?    (04)

I am pondering this odd phraseology through this lens:
- "real words" (the stuff found in dictionaries) have on average 10
meanings
- "short words" (e.g. acronyms, initialisms, systems slang,
abbreviations, etc.)  have an average of 35 meanings per term.  (e.g.
"it" has at least 89 meanings, "cms" has 263 meanings)    (05)

Surfing "curated vocabulary" returns 415 Google hits... clearly on
the BLEEDING edge of fashion.    (06)

Seeing that Kingsley Idehen is involved certainly helps establish
useful context for me since I know a teeny bit about his work... and
would be totally context free for the remaining 99.9999% of humanity.    (07)

From:  http://www.openlinksw.com/blog/~kidehen/index.vspx?cat=21    (08)

> Closed Vocabulary Construction - rather than commence the futile
> quest of building your own closed vocabulary, simply leverage
> Wikipedia's human curated vocabulary as our common base.    (09)

This is at the opposite end of the spectrum where I'm looking for
helping to understand how (several) systems can interoperate.  The
vocabulary in & around systems is NOT—at least up until now—publicly
"curated."  While "peer reviews" and "naming conventions" are long
standing valuable activities, I don't think they're widely followed.    (010)

If I'm using a vocabulary, I want it to be laser focused on the system
(s) I'm wrestling with, not something from Wikipedia, where the odds
are—AT BEST—one in 45 (10 + 35) that the meaning in my system is the
same as what is vetted in Wikipedia.    (011)

David Eddy
deddy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx    (012)

781-455-0949    (013)