Re: [ontolog-forum] UML Meta-Model and Notation

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Anders Tell <opensource@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 15:09:21 +0100
Ed,    (01)

This is an very interesting experience that I share, re. how different people
interpret and use commonly used terms such as abstract syntax-concrete syntax,
conceptual-logical-physical, information-data etc. It is especially troublesome
when including the elusive "business people" in discussions. Personally Ive
never heard a "business" person saying "now Im going to the office and work on
my conceptual schema".    (02)

A question arises whether we should teach non IT people / scientists such terms
and distinctions? Personally Im trying very hard to avoid using these terms and
distinctions in large industry projects since ive experienced we can get work
done more expediently. Rather talking about conceptual models i prefer a more
viewpoint- or aspect oriented labeling scheme, such a strategic vocabulary.    (03)

> I have had some difficulty in OMG sorting out the difference between an
> abstract syntax model and a conceptual model for a language, both of
> which are expressed in a metalanguage.  The nearest I can come to a
> clear distinction is that in an 'abstract syntax model' there is a
> one-to-one mapping from concept to notational production (although there
> may be some lexical reuse).  In a concept model for the same language,
> that is not necessarily the case.  There may be several syntactic
> structures that have the same fundamental semantics or use different
> representations of what is really the same concept.  The conceptual
> model may also support semantically meaningful structures for which
> there is no syntax, precisely because it abstracts the concepts from
> multiple syntactic structures that limit what can be stated.    (04)

/Anders W. tell    (05)