Re: [ontolog-forum] UML Meta-Model and Notation

To: <edbark@xxxxxxxx>, "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Cory Casanave" <cory-c@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 16:11:40 -0500
Ed,
As another conceptual modeler it took a while for me to realize that
"abstract syntax" was just that to many people, and not a conceptual
model.  I was surprised that they thought this was a good idea, but some
are quite religious about it.  However, I don't know that syntax does
always precede concepts - a lot of the time we are trying to find a
syntax for concepts that we already have - in fact we were doing that on
a BPMN call last week.
Of course all concepts need to be communicated in (at least one) syntax,
but there is a subtle difference between the syntax of concepts and the
syntax of syntax.  But, I'm not sure that line is apparent to some
people, perhaps we can find a better way to express it.
There is also the semantics of language construction and modularization
- which seems to have a leg in both syntax and semantics (does semantics
of the syntax make any sense?).  I would agree that these language
elements are crucial for understandability and usability, that their
semantics must be well understood and that this is an area where
languages tend not to share concepts as much.
-Cory    (01)