Re: [ontolog-forum] UML Meta-Model and Notation

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: John Bottoms <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2010 20:00:41 -0500
DN,    (01)

Yes, the same thing had occurred to me. Perhaps we could create
threads that had common assumptions. When I look at the discussions
I seem people talking about differing types of intelligence,
differing types of contexts, varying types of memory models and
no concrete processing model which to tie an the ontology.    (02)

When LAN's were developing, we used to talk about "islands of
automation". It was a migration strategy that worked until the
great shoot-out of token-passing versus ethernet. That battle came
down to the question of which one was most cost effective (the
token passing implementation took 2 chips, ethernet 1, and so
we voted with our pocketbooks.    (03)

Likewise, it seems that implementations of ontological systems
will vote with their pocketbooks; which translates to small workable
systems (implementable) which provide economic benefit. Where are
the "islands of intelligence" that ontologies can provide? Joining
the islands comes after working applications (IMHO).    (04)

-John Bottoms (very gray-beard)
  FirstStar Networks
  Concord, MA
  T: 978-505-9878    (05)