Re: [ontolog-forum] Foundation Ontology Primitives

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Jawit Kien <jawit.kien@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2010 17:44:21 -0600

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 11:20 AM, John F. Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
JK> In the hope that we can actually discuss some details about
 > ontologies and useful primitives, I submit the following table...

In an earlier note, Ronald suggested "Japan Wines Inc" as a test case.
I strongly endorse the idea of using case studies to explore and
compare different ontologies and methodologies.

Is the Japan Wines Inc example the same as that from:

 http://www.osti.gov/bridge/servlets/purl/93755-agx2Lb/webviewable/93755.pdf

Japan Wines, Inc., is a wine distribution center that needs a system for maintaining
product accountability. The system should maintain accountability of products, orders,
deliveries including orders from customers and orders to wineries, and updates to
products, customers, and wineries.
The system does not include issues that deal with employees, product pricing, and
customer and winery bills and payments.
The system should provide the means to keep a current list of the products offered by
Japan Wines. It should allow orders to be taken from customers over the phone. Customer
orders should be logged. The system should assign deliveries to delivery trucks, and it
should be able to record which deliveries have been completed, and which have not. It
should keep track of available, assigned, and total inventory levels, and automatically
adjust these levels as orders are placed and product is delivered. When available
inventory falls below minimum levels, the system should automatically generate orders
for more wine, and fax these orders to the appropriate wineries. Wine orders should be
logged. Once it is confirmed that a wine order has been received, the system should
automatically update the inventory levels accordingly.

There is also (in that same file)
A-4 Software and Information Life Cycle 411 8/95
Deliverable 1 Problem Statement (Deliverable I Narrative with revisions, resulting from analysis phase)

[1] Japan Wines, Inc. is a wine distribution center that needs a system for maintaining
product accountability.
[2] The system is to maintain accountability of products, orders,
deliveries including orders from customers and orders to wineries, and updates to
products, customers and wineries.
[3] Issues that deal with product pricing, customer and winery bills and payments,
and employees are not to be included in this system; a single order will not exceed
the capacity of a truck; and the wine distribution center does not accept backorders.
[4] Customers call in to order products and when the order is completed it is confirmed.
[5] Each order has a unique customer order number, and the date of the order is
automatically entered.
[6] The customer's telephone number is obtained either automatically by caller
identification or by a direct request; it is used to assist in identifying the unique
customer number, the customer name, and the customer delivery address.
[7] If the customer phone number does not enable the retrieval of the customer
number, then it is asked if the customer has ordered products before.
[8] If the customer has, then the customer information is updated, if not, a new customer
number is created and the customer name and delivery address are entered.
[9] Products are ordered by first entering the product number which is used
to display the product name.
[10] The quantity requested is then entered.
[11] The inventory is checked to see if the available inventory quantity
(total inventory minus inventory assigned to pending deliveries) is sufficient for
the request.
[12] If the requested quantity is not currently available, then what is available
is offered to the customer.
[13] After all of the products are ordered and confirmed, the order is logged
and the available inventory quantities are reduced to reflect the order.
[14] This wine distribution center does not accept backorders.
[15] At the end of the day, winery orders are automatically faxed to the wineries when the
available inventory quantity is less than the minimum stock quantity for any product.
[16] The quantity ordered is the maximum stock quantity reduced by the available
inventory quantity.
[17] The winery order has a unique winery order number, and the date
of the order is automatically entered.
[18] Wineries are identified by their phone numbers.
[19] The winery name and the winery fax number appear along with the phone
number on the winery order.
[20] Each product is obtained from only one winery, wineries receive only one
order per day no matter how many products are ordered, and the winery orders
are automatically logged.
[21] Each morning before customer orders are accepted, and only once per day, an
inventory status report is printed and all unfilled customer orders are assigned to a
delivery truck identified by a truck number.
[22] The inventory status report includes all products in inventory and specifies
the total, assigned, and available quantities.
[23] It also specifies the minimum and maximum stock quantities and the
quantities ordered the previous day.
[24] Assigned quantities for each product are pulled, then each customer
order is prepared and loaded onto the assigned truck.
[25] If the order is successfully delivered then the delivery instruction
ticket is checked 'Completed.'
[26] If the order isn't delivered then the delivery instruction ticket is
checked 'Re-Deliver.'
[27] The checked delivery instruction tickets are used to log the successfully delivered orders.
[28] Each delivered order depletes both the total inventory and the assigned inventory; the
available inventory is unchanged.
[29] New products are introduced frequently.
[30] For each new product a product number is created; the product name,
minimum and maximum stock quantities are set.
[31] An initial inventory quantity can be entered.
[32] The winery supplying the product is also entered.
[33] If the product comes from a new winery, then its name, phone number,
and fax number are entered.
[34] Product information can also be updated to reflect modifications to
product names, changes in the minimum and maximum stock
quantities, or adjustments to reflect actual total inventory.
[35] Wineries are also added or updated when necessary.
[36] Every product ordered on the same day from the same winery is placed on a single
winery order.
[37] Once receipt of a winery order is confirmed, the total and the available
inventory quantities are adjusted to reflect the products that have been received; the
receiving date is automatically entered and the receipt of the order is logged.

or some other one? like: from
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=1&ved=0CAcQFjAA&url="">

7 APPENDIX: BUSINESS OF JAPAN WINES, INC.
[1] Japan Wines, Inc. is a wine distribution center.
[2] The business of this center is to manage the inventory of products and to distribute products to
retail shops corresponding to their orders.
[3] All the orders received in a day are processed on the next day.
[4] Every day the center checks the inventory and places necessary orders to wineries to keep the
inventory in proper level.
[5] This center is not responsible for accounting businesses such as product pricing, billing to retail
shops and handling bills from wineries.
[6] A more detailed description of the business is as follows:
[7] The center receives orders from retail shops by phone from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m..

[8] Figure 3 shows a recording form of an order received from a retail shop:

Order Form (from Retail Shop)