Re: [ontolog-forum] Foundation Ontology Primitives

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Patrick Cassidy" <pat@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2010 17:53:24 -0500
Bill,
   I have been involved in some standard efforts and am well aware of how
difficult it is to achieve consensus within a volunteer group (and have
great respect for those who participate anyway).  That is why the FO project
would have to (1) have a deadline and rapid voting procedure to avoid
protracted wrangling and resolve disputes quickly; anyone who can't bear
that method wouldn't participate; (2) It would be a paid effort, not a
volunteer effort, and those who participate will be committed to working
within the rules and timetable established for the project.  The important
point is that we are not trying to find some universally acceptable FO, just
one that can be accepted within a community large enough to give it a proper
test in practical applications and to demonstrate that it really does enable
broad and accurate interoperability.  Those who can't bear using the FO can
try any other tactic they want, it won't affect the goal of the project.  I
am quite certain that there will be well over 100 very competent people
having relevant expertise who would be willing to participate in such a
funded project.
  The problem now is not that we don't have a *universal* FO, but that we
don't have *any* that are being used to good effect by a broad community to
produce public programs from which we can learn how a good FO can support
interoperability.  CYC could probably do that (perhaps with some additions),
but we don't have any open-source programs using CYC, and no public examples
of interoperability of independently developed programs.  Providing
open-source uses of the FO from which people can learn and evaluate would be
a very important result.
    It is critically important not to confuse terms with the FO; the
ontology has only logical specifications, and no matter how many different
meanings different people want to attach to some word, they can all be
specified by the logical representations of the FO, and they can all live
comfortably together in one ontology, though they would have different
labels (MySecurity, YourSecurity, HisSecurity, whatever). The meanings of
terms need not be an issue; an FO can accommodate every intended meaning.
If someone doesn't like the definition of a particular term, the term can be
abandoned and some other label used.  The labels for the concepts in an FO
are only important in providing clues for the human developers to recall
what the meaning is; the meaning itself is independent of the label.  Where
terms need to be standardized in applications or some group of applications,
it is for the application developers to be concerned about; *whatever*
intended meaning they decide on, it can be represented in the FO, or by
means of the FO.  In an ontology development group it is never necessary to
wrangle over terms, although some may do it out of shear orneriness.    (01)

Pat    (02)

Patrick Cassidy
MICRA, Inc.
908-561-3416