Re: [ontolog-forum] Foundation Ontology Primitives

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Patrick Cassidy" <pat@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2010 17:25:17 -0500
Matthew,
  Yes that is the correct view of primitives.  Unfortunately, if we include
in domain ontologies (as I do) ontology elements that are not "defined" by
necessary and sufficient conditions (e.g. just related to others by
necessary conditions and some restrictions), there can be some debate as to
whether there is still some "primitive" component of that ontology element.
I think the practical problem will be whether we consider the logical
description of an element as sufficient to allow machines to use it
accurately; this may require that the logical description not require appeal
to known instances to permit the machines or people to interpret its proper
use.  This is the borderline that I am uncertain about.
   My criterion for considering something as fit for the FO is, if it seems
to be a clear primitive (e.g. one based on perception, feelings) or if it is
just a common concept *and* no one has an objection to keeping it in the FO.
That makes it easier to avoid redefining concepts, in perhaps unintended
incompatible ways.  This is a very practical project, though it does touch
on the basic issue of what inventory of basic ontology elements are required
to describe everything else.  The competing desire is to keep the FO as
small as possible.  It will depend on what the users want.    (01)

Pat    (02)

Patrick Cassidy
MICRA, Inc.
908-561-3416