Re: [ontolog-forum] tighter control of ontolog forum

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Christopher Spottiswoode" <cms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 20:04:33 +0200

Ferenc, please pardon me for having in my haste (in my previous reply to you via the list) missed your real point below, which I have at last seen as one concerning the machine understanding or at least analysis of NL texts.

Yes, your observation is extremely relevant and recalls to my mind what I have related on this list before, namely how I would start our brainstorming sessions at Metaset in the early 1990s (when I could validly talk of our team members in the plural) by writing up on the flipchart:  "The meaning of a message is (largely) implicit in its context!"

By now I can happily report that in The Mainstream Architecture for Common Knowledge that slogan is implemented very literally, with appropriately precise technical definitions of "meaning", "message", "largely", "implicit" and "context", all those definitions being of course interdependent.

That is the meta-lesson.  But the same applies to all ordinary or detail messages in an architecture-canonical operational environment.  Everything fits together very tightly.  Yet quite naturally too.  (That will - I hope - help greatly in overcoming what might be seen as my dogmatism in these and many other matters.)

(However, for further detail once again I must ask you to be patient while I prepare the relevant further pages still to go up on http://TheMainstream.info.)

Thanks once again.

Christopher