Re: [ontolog-forum] new logic

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Conklin, Don" <don.conklin@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 09:30:48 -0500
John,    (01)

Speaking as a retired fighter-bomber pilot who taught dogfighting, I always
thought OODA was a bit off the mark. A pilot has to have his orientation going
into the fight. Observations are appended to that orientation via visual or
sensor based information resulting in a (hopefully) high quality of situational
awareness (SA) upon which decisions are made and then acted out. Of course John
was Air Force and I was Navy so there's a difference right there.    (02)

After hanging up my wings, I encountered OODA becoming MAPE when designing
planning systems. First on the Integrated Space Command and Control (ISC2)
program for then Space Command ten years ago. SPACECOM was a USAF supported
CINC at the time. Later MAPE grew to MAPPER for Strategic Command, also USAF
supported. Each theater or functional four star command has a service sponsor.
OODA/MAPE/MAPPER are just way to describe a decision cycle. It becomes a bit
more complex as one goes up the food chain.    (03)

A Mig on the tail (assuming it is within weapons range) always calls for an
immediate break turn. No higher cognitive function required, at least until the
turn is over...    (04)

Don Conklin
Lockheed Martin, ISGS-Defense
Virginia Beach, VA