Re: [ontolog-forum] new logic

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Schiffel, Jeffrey A" <jeffrey.a.schiffel@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 11:38:27 -0600

Christopher Menzel  replied
On Nov 18, 2009, at 4:48 PM, Schiffel, Jeffrey A wrote:
In our discussions of "new logic," we should probably recall some other categorizations of logic before we wander into the desert. There are three that have been around a very long time. Their present definition is mostly from Pierce. They are:

-- Deduction, which is reasoning where necessary conclusions are made from statements - FOL,
-- Induction, which are arguments by inference, i.e., by likelihood, usually from experience, and
-- Abduction, which forms hypotheses from observed patterns.
I'm afraid I couldn't recommend this description.  For excellent, expert accounts of the many different aspects and kinds of logic, I recommend the entries found under "Logic" in the online Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy.  There are, in particular, very fine, informative entries on classical first-order logicsecond- and higher-order logic, modal logic, and intensional logic.

the other two forms are not as mathematized, and mainly show up informally or in rhetoric.
JS:  Although the words are my own, the definitions I stated are drawn in part from the expert account in the Standford Encyclopedia of Philosophy.

Regards,

-- Jeffrey Schiffel