Re: [ontolog-forum] memory loss

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Ian Bailey" <ian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 07:58:33 +0100
Hi Randall,    (01)

You wrote "The relatively small minority of people with the cognitive abilities
and proclivities to do science and engineering are enough to move the human
race forward"    (02)

Aside from the inference that artists haven't moved the human race forward, I
don't think you can lump engineers and scientists together quite so easily. The
two communities think very differently, and probably have very different
"cognitive abilities". Most scientists would argue that engineers don't
actually have any cognitive abilities, and we'd be happy to bandy insults with
them too, if we thought they'd get the joke.    (03)

It's true that engineers tend to use the products of scientific discovery (at
least the 1% of those that actually stand true outside the laboratory), but I
think it requires a different mindset to be a good engineer to that required to
be a good scientist.     (04)

Cheers
--
Ian    (05)