Re: [ontolog-forum] memory loss

To: paoladimaio10@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: ravi sharma <drravisharma@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 11:21:06 -0400
Thanks, Paola and Randall.
Ravi

On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 11:01 AM, Paola Di Maio <paola.dimaio@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Randall

this particular portion of the thread has gone a bit astray from the intended point of discussion, so I
did not continue the conversaion, but just to point out what I meant:

- a minority of people do make decisions for the rest of us, as to science and engineering as in other fields, but this is not necessarily ideal, we can see the consequences of separating 'technology' from 'economics' , 'engineering' from 'sustainability'
These artificial divisions create people who may well be technical geniuses, but have little notion nor bear the responsibilities of the consequences of their actions (and systems) in the real world.

Plus, there could be many more scientists and engineers , possible even more women? should these disciplines be more inclusive and had more people access to education and to the means of publicising their work. And if some work goes against the grain, it may well be rejected on other grounds, purely for the politics of science (never mind the philosophy)

So when you say:

 the relatively small minority of people with the cognitive
> abilities and proclivities to do science and engineering are enough
> to move the human race forward"

 I dont think so -

 but 'to move a small minority of the human race a few steps forward'
perhaps yes

Paola (she)
:-)