Re: [ontolog-forum] Semiotic Systems

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: ravi sharma <drravisharma@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 17:20:11 -0400
Rich
  1. Agree and sometimes visual metaphors signify great sequences of events. Tribes till today expand and describe the whole epic story based on one drawing (call Phad - or Padh in a dialect) and enacted as story plays for three hours. (they did not have access to movies or media files!)
  2. On another level "icons" are about many many things and processes that we know or go about doing at work home worship or professions and in art and culture. These can also be complex such as a model for fundamental particles etc.

--
Thanks.
Ravi

On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 4:11 PM, Rich Cooper <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I came across this very interesting quote:

ML> Semiotic Analysis, as practiced here, involves the discovery and capture of generalizations about the way Events influence each other. It is called "semiotic" because I believe that

·               signs are Events, not Objects, although they may be associated with "substance" Objects which participate in their occurrence;

·               signs can stand for something because one part of their occurrence (the sign's "form") influences another part (the sign's "meaning");

·               any pattern of influence can be formulated in terms of signs; and

·               the long-established conceptual apparatus of semiotics, once re-analyzed under this proposed ontology, is useful for the understanding of any complex system (and its Descriptions)

Semiotic Analysis may proceed using the Event Classes already discovered, but it may also lead to the discovery of additional Classes based on the patterns of influence discovered.

RC> This quote came from a page at http://www.polymathix.com/papers/socs-upper.html where Mark P. Line has posted an ontology comprised of just objects and events at the top level.

I’m not familiar with using signs postulated as events, that leaves open new areas.  Has anyone else gotten involved in this way of applying ontologies?

-Rich

Sincerely,

Rich Cooper

EnglishLogicKernel.com