Re: [ontolog-forum] Semiotic Systems

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Rich Cooper" <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2009 09:57:37 -0700

Sincerely,

Rich Cooper

EnglishLogicKernel.com

Rich AT EnglishLogicKernel DOT com

FERENC KOVACS wrote

Rich,

My problem with events is the definition of boundaries, the identification of the "pattern" of an event for the purpose of recognition. Although I see events as a sequence of temporaly identifieable entities and not as a chain of cause of effect, because there are many concurrent causes leading to an event (see Petri nets), I still can see how an event remains very vague and arbitrarily identified as changes take place at all sorts of scale and places before they add up to a situation that is no longer identical with the one a second ago. So this approach does not solve the problem of showing the trajectory of learning about things, recording it a manner that serves as a good (and standardized) interface beween FO components.

RC> Agreed.  Tiny changes make big differences in chaos theories (butterfly wings “cause” hurricanes).  If we start with just the two items – existence detectors and identifiers we still have to define identity.  The only place to go with that is FCA, but that skips over the question of how you identify the objects and properties BEFORE you start clustering them.  There are missing pieces in the math here, or at least the realities are not fully modeled yet.

-Rich