[ontolog-forum] Deriving categories using clustering techniques...

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: John Bottoms <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 11:01:27 -0400
My understanding of categories consists of the following:
(domain == professional discipline or context across time
            or across a number of contributors)    (01)

1. Quantification of an environment can be accomplished
    using categories.    (02)

2. The domain is determined by a boundary and the ideal
    quantification process divides the domain efficiently.    (03)

3. The metric for the effectiveness quantification is the
    coverage of the domain. However, this may also
    include metrics that include more functionally useful
    components such as means.    (04)

My question is related to the effective coverage and is, in
part, derived from the criticism of the DIKW (or any other
pyramid) of the abstractions of knowledge.    (05)

Q: "Should it be possible to replace the existing approach to
     categories with an approach that extracts measured concepts
     from meanings and then performs cluster analysis on those
     concepts"?    (06)

Rational:
a.) One of the weakness of the category concept is that they
     are designed for coverage fo a domain for which the boundary
     may be poorly ascribed or poorly understood. e.g. we have
     seen redefinition of "I.Q" to include spatial and musical
     components.    (07)

b.) Next, domain boundaries change across time and new categories
     may need to be added; for those changes the new entities must
     be vetted. This could be done using cluster analysis.    (08)

c.) Finally, the redefinition of the process for determining
     categories could be automated and because the process relies
     on a set of meanings rather than a set of categories, it is
     easier to perform vetting on the meanings.    (09)

Or, did I misunderstand the concept and uses of categories?    (010)

-John Bottoms
  FirstStar
  Concord, MA
  T: 978-505-9878    (011)