Re: [ontolog-forum] Semantic Systems

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Gary Berg-Cross <gary.berg-cross@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 16:32:50 -0400
BTW,    (01)

Some support for "embodied cognition theories"  which posit the grounding of
language in an organism’s perceptual and motor systems also comes from a
version of "neuroimaging. " Nouns seem to evoke areas that are more perceptual
and verbs more of the motor regions, as reported by Cangelosi and Riga (2006)
in An Embodied Model for Sensorimotor Grounding and Grounding Transfer:
Experiments With Epigenetic Robots. At least that's what happens with a neural
net implementation.  For example, "tasks involving the use of verbs require the
activation of the same neurons (and hidden layers) that play the function of
integrating sensorial
information (e.g. vision for identifying the shape and position of the object)
with motor signals (proprioception for planning arm movement) to produce
action."    (02)

Gary Berg-Cross, Ph.D.
gbergcross@xxxxxxxxx
 http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?GaryBergCross