Re: [ontolog-forum] mKR programming language: was International Alliance

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Richard H.McCullough <rhm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: KR-language <KR-language@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 16:02:45 -0500

On Mar 13, 2009, at 10:26 PM, Richard H. McCullough wrote:    (01)

> Chris
>
> mKR is a programming language.
>
> But I don't know why you seem to think it's important
> whether some language is, or is not, a programming language.    (02)

Its important because of the kind of semantics different languages
have. A programming language describes algorithms, processes, things
that happen when the program is run. Programming language semantics
reflect this, typically treating a program text as describing a
function (often, though by no means always, from 'states' to other
'states' of an idealized 'machine'.) Descriptive languages, such as
RDF and OWL and CL and FOL, by contrast, have a semantics which
defines truth-conditions for sentences, ie which describes what a
'world' has to be like so that when 'interpreted' in it, the sentence
will be true. These two ideas have very little in common apart from
both being called "languages".    (03)

Pat Hayes    (04)

phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes    (06)