Re: [ontolog-forum] standard ontology

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Patrick Cassidy" <pat@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 12:21:32 -0500
John and PatH
   Your arguments to take a gradual approach, look for small demos and
eventually try to get broad agreement via the semantic web is based solidly
on the notion that a very gradual approach is a low-cost solution.  It's
not.  The economic losses due to failure to implement a base for semantic
interoperability are enormous and mounting every day.  Just because such
losses do not show up as a line item on someone's budget doesn't mean they
are not real.  The direct method of funding a consortium to develop and test
an FO is in fact the cheapest method, when the  savings due to  more rapid
implementation of semantic interoperability are factored in.  Even with a
very pessimistic estimate of the likely effectiveness of the consortium
approach, it is still cost-effective.    (01)

We are now living through one of the disasters that the "let the market take
its course" attitude can produce.  Some well-considered pro-active effort
can save a lot of money in the long run.  If you have any qualms about
specific parts of the FO proposal, suggest modifications.  But to imagine
that the current kind and rate of effort will achieve semantic
interoperability without a coordinated effort to get agreement on some major
part of an FO is merely an act of faith with no evidence to support it.    (02)

If we must take some course to a goal based on faith, taking the shortest
course seems to me to be the best bet.    (03)

Pat    (04)

Patrick Cassidy
MICRA, Inc.
908-561-3416