Re: [ontolog-forum] standard ontology

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Patrick Cassidy" <pat@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 01:53:38 -0500

PatH,

  I see where we have a profound difference in intuitions about the future:

[PC].  >> So then why don't you organize such a project if it is likely to attract funding?

{PH > Because I believe it is way too early to be trying to normalize such interoperability, and that the best, perhaps the only, way to achieve it is via some version of the semantic web. Maybe not using current SWeb technology, but based on the overall concept of distributed syndication and open publication of ontologies. No centrally administered project, no matter how large, can hope to achieve the potential scope of a Web-based effort. So I am bending my small efforts largely in the direction of trying to make the SWeb more usable and more widely used.

 If you think that distributed separately developed ontologies will somehow achieve accurate semantic interoperability without a centrally coordinated effort to achieve agreement on the meanings of the most fundamental ontology elements, then we are truly on different planets.    As I see such developments, the best result we can hope for from a separate development of ontologies and post-hoc mapping is something akin to another human language, insofar as there will be multiple meanings for certain terms and multiple terms for the same intended meaning, with no hope of any automated process to resolve the ambiguity, polysemy, and synonymy.  So you will prefer to wait for years (and the country will waste hundreds of billions of dollars) rather than risk a few tens of millions of dollars on a program (even a program that you yourself might propose) that is aimed at resolving the issue  – and in the end there is no objective reason to hope that the Semantic Web process you prefer is any more likely to achieve widespread accurate semantic interoperability than a directed and coordinated project.

In effect, you have no alternative.  OK, fine, but when you express skepticism toward a proposal for a direct process to achieve semantic interoperability, could you at least have the decency, when you do that, to admit that you don’t have any suggestions for an alternative with a better chance of achieving that goal in our lifetimes, if ever?

Pat

Patrick Cassidy

MICRA, Inc.

908-561-3416