Re: [ontolog-forum] OpenCyc OWL Files

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 23:24:41 -0600

On Feb 18, 2009, at 9:26 PM, Mitch Harris wrote:    (01)

> On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 5:08 PM, Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Feb 18, 2009, at 12:07 PM, Ian Bailey wrote:
>>>
>>> As part of an ontology-based reference data demonstrator I'm
>>> working on, I
>>> decided to go look what was out there for free, or at least under
>>> creative
>>> commons. I downloaded the OpenCyc OWL file and loaded it into my OWL
>>> editor (all 124MB of it!).
>>
>> Bear in mind that OWL isn't expressive enough to capture more than a
>> fraction of what is in OpenCyc.
>
> I don't know much about Cyc or OpenCyc...in what way is OpenCyc more
> expressive? Is it full FOL?    (02)

Yes, and then some. It uses full FOL expressivity in a CL-like format
that looks like higher-order logic plus the context-logic-based
microtheories machinery. The Cyc reasoner also has several hundred
special-purpose reasoning modules, and the Cyc formalism is sometimes
adapted so as to take advantage of them. For example, rather than
writing the axiom
(forall (x)(if (P x)(Q x)))
Cyc will prefer the form (genls P Q), which means exactly the same but
is recognized by the Cyc inference machinery and treated in a highly
efficient way.    (03)

Pat    (04)

phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes    (06)