Re: [ontolog-forum] OpenCyc OWL Files

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 23:27:25 -0600

On Feb 18, 2009, at 10:09 PM, Randall R Schulz wrote:    (01)

> On Wednesday February 18 2009, Mitch Harris wrote:
>> On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 5:08 PM, Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>
>>> Bear in mind that OWL isn't expressive enough to capture more than
>>> a fraction of what is in OpenCyc.
>>
>> I don't know much about Cyc or OpenCyc...in what way is OpenCyc more
>> expressive? Is it full FOL?
>
> It is FOL with various higher-order extensions such as the ability
> quantifying over predicate and function names and a kind of
> non-monotonic default logic.
>
> I worked with Cyc some back around 2000, and one of our criticisms (at
> least back then) was that there was no clear statement, formal or
> informal, of the logic, the model theory or the proof theory
> underlying
> Cyc's inference mechanisms. I don't know if that's still true or not.
>    (02)

I don't think its ever been written down in formal-logician stye, but
the basic logic is very similar to CL, which gives the higher-orderish
flavor. The model theory is classical FO, adapted to fit the context
machinery (Guha did this, based partly on McCarthy's work). There is
no classical proof theory, but thats true of many formalisms.    (03)

Pat    (04)

phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes    (06)