[ontolog-forum] Ur-Elements

To: "'Pat Hayes'" <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Cc: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Chris Partridge" <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 18:24:39 -0000

Hi Pat,

Not sure what happened to the old subject line – have added one that is reasonably informative.

A few small comments:

PH>You took my rhetorical question differently than I intended. I was making a point only about which discipline should guide our choice of technical vocabulary. If a word (like "individual") has one meaning in logic and knowledge representation, and a different meaning in metaphysics and statistics, then I would have thought it was generally agreed here that the former would be the meaning that an unguarded use of the word was intending to convey, when talking to this forum.

I have a slightly different view. I think the ontology enterprise is heterogeneous (multi-disciplinary) and to claim that it is the solely the business of logic and knowledge representation (which you may not have been) is likely to hamper progress. In general, I would try to be inclusive. Where we have trouble is where there is a good body of relevant knowledge in one discipline and we need to appraise other disciplines of it – this can be difficult. As you know, if we were going to argue priority, then I would vote for metaphysics over logic.

CP>One of the things that continues to surprise me it that the current ZF contain only sets. This seems to be the outcome of mathematicians desire to avoid any contact with the real world at the beginning of the last century.

PH>No, it arose from the desire of mathematicians to produce a "pure", minimal, set theory as a foundation for mathematics, in a 50-year attempt to rescue something from the ashes of Hilbert's programme. Which, by the way, while a fascinating and deep topic, IMO has very little to do with our ontological business in this forum.

I do not see why you say ‘no’ – aren’t we saying the same thing? Wouldn’t a ‘"pure", minimal, set theory’ ‘avoid any contact with the real [material] world’? Isn’t the empty set a good example of something with no contact to the material world?

PH>On the other hand, if you are asking me to speak as an ontologist, of course I want to distinguish ur-elements from sets. "Ur-element" here just means something that isn't a set, and of course I want to be able to talk about sets of anything.

Doesn’t one need to adjust ZF if your universe includes set of ur-elements? (The article mentions this - Axiomatizations of set theory that do invoke urelements include Kripke-Platek set theory with urelements, and the variant of Von Neumann–Bernays–Gödel set theory described in Mendelson (1997: 297-304). In type theory, an object of type 0 can be called an urelement; hence the name "atom.").

So if one wants ur-elements one would need to go for these adjusted theories.

PH> But "ur-element" is a very odd term for on ontologist to use.

Which is perhaps why someone plumped for an equally odd term ‘Individual’.

Chris