Re: [ontolog-forum] a skill of definition - "river"

To: <maharri@xxxxxxxxx>, "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Matthew West <dr.matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 23:04:16 -0000
Dear Mitch    (01)

> > According to that definition the Okavango is not a river.
>
> The Okavango surely is a strange kind of river.
>
> Do you really expect to hold natural language to the same strictness
> standards as formal ones?
>
> Pardon the following longish entertainment. You can get the point
> stopping
> after any paragraph.
> Yes, it's fiction, so it is meaningless but evocative.    (02)

[MW] Actually this refers to a quite important kind of object, those that
are what they are because we deem them to be so. Sometimes known as
intentionally constructed. Recognising this arbitrariness when it applies
can save a lot of heartache.    (03)

Regards    (04)

Matthew West
Information  Junction
Tel: +44 560 302 3685
Mobile: +44 750 3385279
matthew.west@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/    (05)

This email originates from Information Junction Ltd. Registered in England
and Wales No. 6632177.
Registered office: 2 Brookside, Meadow Way, Letchworth Garden City,
Hertfordshire, SG6 3JE.    (06)