Re: [ontolog-forum] a skill of definition - "river"

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Mike Bennett <mbennett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 12:40:25 +0000
Thanks John. I guess that was the problem I was seeing with the
definition of a "stretch" of a river in the Protege example but I had
not thought to extend it to river itself. I was not aware of the
pedigree of this problem, so that was very helpful.    (01)

This means that when setting out to define anything formally, one has to
be aware of when one is modelling some discrete thing such as a pump or
an elephant, and when one is modelling human perceptions of things. The
latter will always need to be referred to in business ontologies at some
point, though I imagine in most cases there would be a legal definition
for things that are of relevance to any business (legal being IMHO one
of the primary sources of meaning to a business). So for example the
Thames migh be defined legally as that which comes under the
jurisdiction of the UK's Environment Agency and is defined by them as
the Thames (since they are responsible for a number of watercourses).
OK, bad example as that's the non-tidal Thames, but the tidal Thames is
in many ways a legal black hole.    (02)

In practical terms, if you are building an ontology for some genuine
business purpose then I imagine the appropriate legally-grounded
definitions will suggest themselves. So licences for boats will refer to
the jurisdictions responsible for licensing on those watercourses, while
a booking system for pleasure cruises will refer to local, arbitrarily
defined "stretches" identified with reference to fixed landmarks like
locks and jetties (rather than a legal definition). To me, this is one
of the challenges of trying to mandate some "global" ontology without
reference to the people who already own the specific business problems.    (03)

As you mention later, the trouble with the legal grounding of semantics
is that there are many boundary cases that are only resolved in a court
of law. So the legal grounding of meaning, while appropriate for
business semantics, is itself an imprecise mechanism in which a given
concept is identified, but that concept may iself be subject to future
refinement. Well, the computer system can't be expected to know more
than the business itself, so as long as the system has an ontology which
is in line with what the business "knows" then it won't add any mistakes
of its own. Presently, the computer programmer can bring in their own,
wholly ungrounded assumptions about the world they are dealing with.    (04)

A lot of food for thought there, for whoever is setting out the
ontological commitment of a given ontology. Perhaps a good ontology
development method should formally recognise and deal with the
distinction between human perceptual constructs and the more tractable
kinds of thing. I would certainly want to see the issues you have come
up with (and much other philosophical knowledge) reflected in a formal
ontology development method so it doesn't rely on engineers like me
having read all the philosophy.    (05)

Mike    (06)

--
Mike Bennett