Re: [ontolog-forum] a skill of definition - "river"

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 10:19:20 -0500
Frank,    (01)

Almost none of the concepts that anybody has learned spring
into existence fully formed at a precise point in time.
They grow and change throughout a lifetime.    (02)

FK> But you can tell the date of the concept that you have
 > created in your mind to identify that hut in Your head.    (03)

Absolutely not.  The example of a log cabin is one that I
had used before, but each time I use it, it evolves.    (04)

In my previous note, I imagined a builder who had no idea
of building a log cabin.  He just laid a few logs next
to a tree to make a temporary shelter.  The idea of a
shelter gradually evolved into the idea of a log cabin.
That is typical of all our ideas.    (05)

FK> I do not understand this obsession with syllogisms and
 > reasoning based on syllogisms in order to do, for instance,
 > machine translation based on statistical data.    (06)

I certainly agree.  A well-trained carpenter or an engineer
in any field has a very large toolkit and many different
skills.  They use a hammer for one task, a saw for another,
and a drill for something else.  To build intelligent systems,
you need to know many different aspects of intelligence and
have a very large collection of tools and skills.    (07)

FK> And to make an ontology learnable to must forget about
 > formal logic.    (08)

You need different tools and techniques for different purposes.    (09)

FK> Instead, we should be seeking procedural knowledge that
 > shows how you arrive at a concept and how you can act, not
 > just glare at the ideas the frozen into "maps" that show
 > non existing pints in 2D connected by a straight line
 > indicating nothing, but a hazy association.    (010)

Procedural methods are very important for many kinds of tasks.
They are an essential part of any knowledge engineer's toolkit.    (011)

As I said, I've covered these issues many times before.  Please
read the papers before making any assumptions about what I am
proposing.  You can start with the "Challenge of Knowledge Soup":    (012)

    http://www.jfsowa.com/pubs/challenge.pdf    (013)

For an outline about how to integrate and use a wide variety
of different kinds of tools and techniques, see "Architectures
for Intelligent Systems":    (014)

    http://www.jfsowa.com/pubs/arch.htm    (015)

For psychological issues, see "Categorization in Cognitive
Computer Science":    (016)

    http://www.jfsowa.com/pubs/cogcat.htm    (017)

Following is a more recent talk about three applications that
use the VivoMind technology:    (018)

    http://www.jfsowa.com/talks/pursue.pdf    (019)

The last slide of that talk (and other talks in that directory)
has pointers to other papers for further reading.    (020)