[ontolog-forum] RDF & RDFS (was... Is there something I missed?)

To: <edbark@xxxxxxxx>, "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Ian Bailey" <ian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2009 21:11:04 -0000
Hi All,    (01)

Foolhardy as it almost certainly is, I couldn't resist putting my oar in.
I've got the dubious privilege of having implemented one of the early OWL
editors (now a freebie download on my website...sorry Peter, it's not open
source, but that has more to do with the appalling state of the code than
any will to power on my part). I've also been working with the Chris
Partridge / Matthew West 4D extensional ontology approach for a good few
years now, which is pretty far removed from the intent of the SWeb as stated
by Sir Tim and the W3C. Matthew and Chris are looking for a better, more
accurate model of business through extensional analysis. The SWeb, as far as
I can deduce, is doing for data what HTML did for hypertext...i.e. allowing
relationships to go outside the confines of the computer the data sits on.    (02)

If you treat RDF and RDFS as simple modelling syntaxes (that's all they
are), you can use them quite nicely to represent your ontology - even an
extensional, 4D, higher-order ontology. It's less easy to do that with OWL,
as that language tries to be a bit more clever (and as always with things
that try to be too clever, shoots itself in the foot). It's just a syntax -
the semantics should be in your ontology, not in the language you choose to
publish it in. We use UML as the master for the IDEAS ontology. Again, if
you use it carefully (in this case we have a UML profile that exactly
replicates the ontic categories in the IDEAS Foundation), it's fine. Even
more shocking, we use the UML to auto-generate an RDBMS implementation of
IDEAS and an RDF Schema of the IDEAS ontology. These languages are just
tools of the trade. Use them carefully and they'll do the job.    (03)

I'm not wedded to the semantic web. I don't think there is even a common
consensus for what it is. However, don't dismiss RDF and RDFS for that
reason. They're just a neat(ish) way to express your models in XML (be they
data models, ontologies, taxonomies, etc.) that lends itself well to
distributed data. Yes, they use URLs, but if you don't like that you can
always invent a fake namespace and just use whatever IDs you like within
that namespace. To be honest, if I've learned anything from BORO it's that
names are complex beasts, so any attempt to rely on an in-built mechanism in
XML isn't going to get you very far. The ontology itself should model names,
and the RDF simply represents your ontology in a computer interpretable
format. End of.    (04)

All implementation will involve compromise. If you don't think so, you've
never worked on a commercial system. The trick is to implement in such a way
that you do not restrict your ontology's expressiveness. If you can't see a
way to do that in RDF/RDFS, then you probably need a bit more imagination -
hire some engineers instead of computer scientists. RDF and RDFS are not
perfect, and the flaws in OWL are recognised by everyone who has worked with
it. Standards are never perfect. The trick is to stop whining about it and
actually try it - then you start to realise that a few (acceptable)
work-arounds can get you a long way.    (05)

The moral of this story is that you should concentrate on building a good
ontology rather than whining about the languages that can be used to do it.
It's a poor workman who blames the tool.    (06)

Cheers
--
Ian
www.modelfutures.com    (07)