Re: [ontolog-forum] Is there something I missed?

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Rich Cooper" <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2009 15:02:06 -0800
Hi Len,    (01)

Thanks for the URL.  I looked at the page and was interested in the OntoBase
software.  OntoBase looks like nice work!  Was it developed at Stanford?  If
so, there are probably lots of academic papers on how it was designed and
developed.      (02)

Do you have any publications (or web pages) that describe how the product
transforms RDBs into classes?  Especially:    (03)

1.      any discussion of the ways in which you group columns in one table
to make subclasses (is it based on Foreign Key / Primary Key columns?);    (04)

2.      ways in which multitable structures can be transformed into sensible
classes that human observers can be comfortable with.      (05)

There are many ways to do it subjectively, but it would be nice to have some
material that ranks some potential class groupings higher or lower than
other potential class groupings (PCGs).  For example, if a PCG has too many
columns, it might be a nonintuitive class, but too few columns might be too
simple a class.  Choosing classes within the structuring from the RDB, and
meeting psychological best practices, could automatically produce a first
set of classes that could later be subjectively refined by a human modeler.    (06)

Thanks!
-Rich    (07)

Sincerely,
Rich Cooper
EnglishLogicKernel.com
Rich AT EnglishLogicKernel DOT com    (08)