Re: [ontolog-forum] Is there something I missed?

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Matthew West <dr.matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2009 10:10:06 -0000
Dear Rich,    (01)

> Thanks Matthew,
>
> You've written a large number of papers on modeling - my
> congratulations for
> being so prolific.  Your papers seem to begin with the concept of data
> modeling and then go into the proper principles for modeling.
>
> But I'm looking for ways to use existing database tables and to
> discover the
> classes and relationships that, by chance, went into the original table
> design.      (02)

[MW] If you follow the steps in the "traps" sections of "Developing High
Quality Data Models" you will find yourself doing just that.    (03)

In my experience, commercial databases are developed in a
> haphazard
> way for nearly all commercial applications without the luxury of
> careful
> modeling.  That's especially true of the applications developed as
> requirements are being discovered and changes are requested by users
> that
> may not meet the best practices of modelers.  Database designers are
> usually
> upset to see the way the databases turn out when created in this de
> facto
> way instead of in a well designed, carefully orchestrated way.    (04)

[MW] Just so.

> So if you must begin with an existing database's table designs, how can
> reasonable class model be developed for that legacy database?  Are
> there
> automatic methods for generating the As-Is class models?    (05)

[MW] The only other thing that I am aware of is the Boro method, mentioned
here recently, which starts from the data (and you really need to look at
how people have used a database to be confident of what it is all about).    (06)