Re: [ontolog-forum] vocabulary tools/knoodl

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: paola.dimaio@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 22:17:39 +0700
John, of course    (01)

when I first came to this forum I made it clear that
(for me at least) 'semantic' and ' ontology' are not equal to RDF/
OWL, despite a lot of misleading indoctrination perpetrated by
semantic web institutions    (02)

( I recently began arguing with a tutor at ASWC summer school who said
that an owl file is is an ontology in the w3c sense, and I wanted to
cry)    (03)

also, on this forum we repeatedly discussed and accepted
limitations of the RDF/OWL approach    (04)

i am convinced of that
however, it is also true that RDF offers some structure which allows
basic lavel of reasoning    (05)

I was reasonably convinced  by the dynamic sparql pages on semantic
wiki that output uptodate results of annotated pages    (06)

so, while I agree with you that rdf/owl are not yet ideal and I hope
we move on, I also think that given easy to use interfaces, such as
knoodl, I dont have to care what formalization the content  is
structured with, and if current semantic web tools use rdf/owl, it
cannot hurt to learn to work with them temporarily    (07)

these tools allow me to create some underlying structure while
inputting text in natural language, kind of cool I think, despite the
limitations
when the next formalization is going to be
standardized/used/available, I ll be happy to move on,    (08)

also this knoodl thing, and also semantic web wiki work with natural
language, and allow people to edit stuff using natural language wiki
interfaces, while capturing the underlying semantiics and outputting
rdf (in the same way that current blogging tools produce rss/atom
schemas around text entered using wysiwyg),    (09)

there is nothing wrong with trying to add structure to our resources,
which can always be transformed using xsd to whatever else    (010)

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 9:57 PM, John F. Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Paola,
>
> You don't ever want to "accomplish some rdfization of vocabularies."
>
> The best notation for defining things is a version controlled
> English that enables the subject-matter experts to think in
> the terms that are appropriate to the subject.  The result
> is humanly readable.
>
> Following is an excerpt from a note to Ian Bailey in another
> thread.
>
> John
>
> IB> Another tip is to sort out your ontic categories early on. I'm
>  > not sure OWL and RDFS give you a proper foundation for ontology
>  > development - there are some very strange things in the W3C spec
>  > about how an individual in one ontology can be a class in another
>  > (bizarre even in an intensional approach).
>
> I very strongly agree.  RDFS and OWL are horrible examples of how
> *not* to design an ontology language.  The designers started with
> two disastrous implementation-based assumptions:
>
>  1. They wanted to reuse their XML-based parsing tools by forcing
>     everything into the world's worst syntax.
>
>  2. They forced a weird semantics in which the only relations
>     are dyadic.  That means that you can't even say 2+2=4
>     because the "+" operator is triadic:  it takes two inputs
>     and generates one output.
>
> These two blunders are the source of those bizarre features you
> mention above.  You can't entirely ignore RDF and OWL because
> they were foisted on a large set of people who didn't know enough
> to see that they were dupes in a Ponzi scheme.  But you should
> always preserve your sanity by thinking in terms of something
> better.

Paola Di Maio
Forthcoming    (012)

i-Semantics 2009, 2 - 4 September 2009, Graz, Austria. www.i-semantics.tugraz.at    (013)