Re: [ontolog-forum] FW: Lattice of theories

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Len Yabloko" <lenya@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 02:03:31 +0000
>Data is nothing but set of references, which can not even be interpreted
>without some theory that exists entirely outside the database. Such theory
>can be considered grounded in some realities. But it can not be found in the
>database.
>=============== =============== =================
>What is the "it" that can't be found in the database:
>- Reality?  That's fundamental; ontology is only a description of reality.
>- Theory?   That's in the schema, which consists not only of storage
>formats, but also of all META LEVEL information in the database.
>Constraints, domains, queries, stored procedures, key columns, primary and
>foreign key designations on tables, and so on.    (01)

It is the theory of course. But database schema as theory is useless for
anything besides the application it supports. This why most database
applications are not able to talk to each other.     (02)

>The schema is what early AI
>types once thought of as the "T-box", as someone mentioned earlier.
>    (03)

I let "early AI types" speak for them-self, but it was I who mentioned "T-box"
as possibly related to notion of "data model". The relationship remains to be
in question.    (04)