Re: [ontolog-forum] Thing and Class

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Matthew West <dr.matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2008 21:03:43 +0100
Dear John,    (01)

> Just a few clarifications:
>
> [MW] I prefer not to use modal logic.
>
> Since I am working on computational linguistics, I need some
> way of translating the words "can" and "must" into some
> logical representation.  But to do the reasoning, I prefer
> to work with the explicit laws (constraints) and facts (data)
> using some version of first-order logic.    (02)

[MW] We each have our crosses to bear :-)

> JFS>> Most AI work with "possible worlds" is actually based on
>  >> metalevel reasoning about sets of propositions that describe
>  >> those worlds, not with the worlds themselves.
>
> [MW] Actually, I am more interested in populating those worlds with
> actual plans, than I am with reasoning, and then tracking how well
> they match to reality.
>
> Most of the plans we develop or use aren't in those worlds.  They're
> in the world we live in (or in our computers, which are also in our
> world), but they refer to hypothetical things in those worlds.    (03)

[MW] I have a different take. The plan is for a world like ours but not
the same one, and they refer to real things (not hypothetical) in those
worlds.

> JFS>>  Nobody actually implements "possible worlds".
>
> [MW] What do you mean by this?  For example, I expect to have an
> object that represents a particular possible world (well more properly
> a universe) for all the time that it exists, and then to have objects
> in the world as spatio-temporal parts of it. How does this fit with
> what you mean?
>
> What I meant is that we don't build physical replicas.  We might
> have physical signs, such as a marks on paper or in a computer,
> that refer to those worlds and hypothetical things in them.    (04)

[MW] OK. I agree with that of course.    (05)

Regards    (06)

Matthew West
http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/     (07)