Re: [ontolog-forum] Thing and Class

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: James Leigh <james-nospam@xxxxxxxxxxx>, SW-forum <semantic-web@xxxxxx>, "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2008 12:16:09 -0500
At 2:35 PM -0700 9/8/08, Michael F Uschold wrote:
Azamat said:

Sum up: If Thing goes as the universal class, of which everything is a
member, it will equivalent to Class, as the class of all classes. Other
interpretations will be inconsistent, asking for many questions.

Whatever you choose to call these things, I find the following distinctions helpful:

I don't find them helpful. They embody and give credence to several common errors; they do not conform to established usages that go back half a century or more; and they aren't properly defined.

1.      X: the set of all things in the universe of discourse
2.      Y: the set of all things that have member individuals
3.      Z: the set of all things that do NOT have member individuals
4.      U: the set of all things whose members do not themselves have members
                      (i.e. the set of all things whose members are members of the class Z)
5.      V: the set of all things whose members also have member individuals
              (i.e   the set of all things whose members are all members of the class, Y)
The names I find most useful for these things are (substituting into the text above)
1.      THING: the set of all things in the universe of discourse

What do you mean here by 'universe of discourse'? That sounds like a semantic term. A semantic universe of discourse can be very small, e.g. {A} is a possible universe of discourse.

2.      CLASS: the set of all things that have member individuals

Does that exclude the empty set/class? (I hope not.) And do the members have to be individuals, or can they also include classes? As stated, this seems to exclude METACLASS, whose elements don't have individuals as members. I presume you did not intend this, though.

3.      INDIVIDUAL: the set of all things that do NOT have member individuals

But not including the empty set/class, I presume.

4.      ORDINARYCLASS: the set of all things whose members do not themselves have members
                      (i.e. the set of all things whose members are members of the class INDIVIDUAL)
5.      METACLASS: the set of all things whose members also have member individuals
              (i.e   the set of all things whose members are all members of the class, CLASS)

It might be worth remarking that your 'ORDINARYCLASS' and 'METACLASS' classifications are not recognized by set theory, and seem to have no purpose that I can determine; that the distinction between them isn't exhaustive, since it omits the (common) case of a set containing both sets and non-sets; and that it has been shown quite rigorously that if set theory is consistent at all, then it is also consistent to assume that there are no INDIVIDUALs in the above sense, i.e. that everything can be treated as a class.

More importantly, the term "individual" as used in logic does not have anything like this meaning: it simply means anything in the universe of discourse, i.e. anything that one is quantifying over. This may include classes, of course, just as it may include anything else. Logical individuals can be any kind of thing: the term does not act there as a classifier. It is therefore very misleading and confusing to treat it as one, as you do here. Looked at from a logical point of view, it seems crazy to single out lack of one particular relation as being a defining characteristic for individual-hood. Why choose lack of class-membership? Why not say that anything that isn't married is an INDIVIDUAL, or anything that doesn't have more than three parts, or ...?

The recognized term in set theory for INDIVIDUALs in your sense is 'ur-elements', from the German "urelemente". Maybe we could call them "irreducible individuals" or some such formulation, to avoid this (recurrent and exasperating) confusion? Or simply NON-CLASS ?

Here is the class hierarchy:

Um... it's not a hierarchy.

THING (the most general anything)
CLASS (the most general class)
ORDINARYCLASS
METACLASS
INDIVIDUAL (the top of the ordinary class hierarchy)

This is a horribly misleading mis-use of a widely used, almost universal, nomenclature. Why screw up a terminology that has worked well for 50 years? Its not even the terminology that is used in set theory itself, which (unlike logic) actually deals with these distinctions.

INDIVIDUAL and CLASS form a partition of THING
ORDINARYCLASS and METACLASS form a partition of CLASS

No, they most definitely don't. If A is an individual then {A, {A}} isn't either ordinary or meta.

Pat

THING and CLASS have all of the five things below as members:

  • THING
  • CLASS
  • ORDINARYCLASS
  • METACLASS
  • INDIVIDUAL
ORDINARYCLASS has members:
  • INDIVIDUAL (any any of its subclasses)

METACLASS has members:
  • CLASS
  • METACLASS
  • ORDINARYCLASS
INDIVIDUAL has members that are inherited from any of its subclasses (e.g. individual persons, or companies, or drugs, depending on the domain).
Michael