Re: [ontolog-forum] Thing and Class

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Chris Partridge" <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 19:01:55 +0100
>Indeed. And of course, change occurs in the real world and is
>described by both 3-d and 4-d ontologies, but in different ways. This
>is so obvious that nobody felt any need to say it.    (01)

Some of this discussion of change and 3d and 4d seems to be covering (very)
old ground.    (02)

It is my impression that in the philosophical tradition that in time gave
rise to the short names 3d and 4d (I think these are only decades old), it
is usual to say that the 4d view denies the existence of change.    (03)

See. For example, http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/change/
Where it has the nice comment:    (04)

It is on the face of it extremely implausible to deny change, but extreme
implausibility has not always deterred philosophers. The Eleatics (C5th
BCE), particularly Parmenides, appear to have been the first to do so.     (05)

More recently - McTaggart, J.E., 1908, "The Unreality of Time," - with
Series A and B. And then a plethora of authors in the last few decades.    (06)

As this and other entries in the site explain, the issue is how we explain
the changes we see - and 3d and 4d are alternatives.    (07)

see also http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/temporal-parts/ - Change]    (08)

Take the definition of an ontology as the set of things that exist, and we
start compiling our list ....    (09)

Then in the traditional Aristotle 3d view, there are objects that are
changes. For example, my movement from A to B.    (010)

In the 4d view, my movement from A to B consists in my being 'at' A at time
t1 and 'at' B at time t2 (Russell characterised this as an at-at
description).    (011)

One can of course, and philosophers like to do it, take elements of the 3d
and 4d view and concoct gerrymandered positions, where something that looks
3d has 4d elements.     (012)

One may also take issue with the basic claim about change. But from a
historical point of view, I think there is a good (overwhelming?) case for
saying that the 4d position has been characterised for some time as denying
the existence of change (in the sense described above).    (013)

One can add the gloss that 4d-ists (Parmenideans) did not really mean that
change could not be described in a 4d view - but it seems to me odd to claim
that 4d has not been characterised as denying the existence of change, and
also to miss an insight into how the position arose, if not into what it is.    (014)

BTW Pat's comment copied in at the top "of course, change occurs in the real
world" would seem to give precedence to the 3d view that changes should be
on our ontology list. But I have taken it out of context.    (015)

Chris    (016)