Re: [ontolog-forum] Thing and Class

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Matthew West <dr.matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2008 13:43:15 +0100
Dear Azamat,    (01)

> On Thursday, September 11, 2008 11:33 AM, Matthew wrote:
>
> 'The key choices that seem to me to be relevant here are:
> 1. Do particulars have temporal parts or not.
> i.e. are particulars extended in time as well as space (or not)?
> 2. Extensionalism (or not) in particulars.
> i.e. if particulars coincide, are they the same thing?
> 3. Eternalism vs presentism.
> i.e. is everything that exists what exists now, or is everything that
> exists include all that exists in the past and the future?
> 4. Extensionalism in sets/types/classes vs intensionalism
> i.e. if two sets/types/classes have the same membership, are they the
> same.'
>
> Now my choices are:
> > - Temporal Parts
> > - Extensionalism for particulars
> > - eternalism
> > - Extensionalism in sets
> >
> >>From the way you are talking you choices would seem to be:
> > - Temporal Parts
> > - (not clear from these discussions, but probably extensionalism for
> > particulars)
> > - Presentism (the membership of types changes over time)
> > - Intensionalism'
>
> Matthew,
>
> Very clear account, as always. But summing up looks not so consistent,
> what
> may be caused by the interpretation of ''eternalism', your or mine. If
> its
> meaning implies ''eternity'', then this sort of ontology of time would
> deny
> temporal boundaries at all or time itself, and hence any measure or
> number
> for change and motion.
> In fact, there is eternity as infinite duration, timelessness and
> immutability, and there is time, as a specific whole made of specific
> parts:
> the past, the now, the future.     (02)

[MW] I tried to be clear about what I meant:
"everything that exists includes all that exists in the past and the
future."    (03)

And of course I did not you or anyone else to interpret what I meant
differently.    (04)

> But particulars with their classes are
> not
> the things partaking of eternity. Its denizens are rather fundamental
> properties and relationships, determining the meanings or intensions of
> things, and their classes, which innumerable members are the instances
> of
> those essential properties, in some particular world or state of
> affairs.     (05)

[MW] Now you are talking about universals, some thing quite different,
but thanks for allowing me to make the distinction.    (06)

> It
> appears that John ontological commitments look more coherent or, say,
> ontological, as far as ontology is about intensional entities and
> models,
> unlike formal set theory dealing with extensional things and
> interpretations. It is natural that some known ontologists tried to
> review
> the set theory, where sets and classes would be replaced by properties
> or
> attributes.    (07)

[MW] If you think that it is about intensional entities then of course
you will prefer John's account. I don't take that view.    (08)

> It must be also noted that in the information sciences and engineering,
> usual doing is to divide the conceptual model into two complementary
> parts:
>
> A.      intensional (intrinsic, underlying, innermost, inherent,
> essential,
> implicit, and constitutional);
>
> B.       extensional (extrinsic, external, extraneous, or accidental).
>
> The former implies the generic things and relationships of the world
> and so
> inherently referred to ontology and embodied as a knowledge base
> schema. The
> latter involves particular states and cases of the world, and it deals
> with
> all sorts of specific assertions about specific instances of classes
> and
> relationships determined by the ontology, and presented as a knowledge
> base
> instance. So, the ontological work consists in providing the general
> entities, as properties, principles, rules, lwas, and underlying
> meanings,
> which form the base for any particular domain of special classes and
> individual things, or extensional classes. It seems to me that a
> noncontradictory position in terms of your conclusion could be:
> Eternalism
> (time as infinite duration) naturally implying Intensionalism [for
> individuals and classes].    (09)

[MW] I am of course aware of this view, however, I find that I loose
nothing in rejecting it and gain some simplicity.    (010)

Regards    (011)

Matthew West
http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/     (012)