Re: [ontolog-forum] Thing and Class

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Matthew West <dr.matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2008 13:43:15 +0100
Dear Pat,    (01)

> > Dear John,
> >
> > I know we usually agree on most things, so here I am going to try to
> > tease out what if anything we might disagree about here.
>
> Matthew, you and I agree on even more than you and John do, so I think
> its important to get one or two points cleared up.    (02)

[MW] Yes indeed. It is good to have this sort of discussion to better
understand and refine positions.

> [...]
> > outside
> > time.
> >
> > If you think about it this is necessary when you accept that things
> > have
> > temporal parts. If things have temporal parts, then those temporal
> > parts
> > must exist, but they are extended in time, so things that are not
> > simply
> > "here and now" must exist, i.e. all spatio-temporal extents exist
> > (at all
> > times, but strictly independent of time).
>
> Agreed, and a nice analysis. Putting the same point in logical terms,
> the universe of discourse shouldn't be in a state of flux, if we ever
> expect to be able to write stable ontologies; so the universe of
> things we quantify over needs to be defined outside of time, and
> itself contain temporally extended (or at least temporally located)
> entities.
>
> > Now when I was saying it was
> > natural in 4D that the set of, say cars, was the set of all cars
> > that ever
> > existed, that is because it is natural for the set of cars to be the
> > set of
> > all cars that exist, and since that is the set of all extents that
> > are cars
> > for the whole of their lives, then that is naturally the set of all
> > cars
> > that ever existed or will exist (to put it in 3D terms).

> >> I'll avoid getting into debates about what is 'natural', but I must
> >> emphasize that the distinction is independent of time or change.
> >> In my previous note, I made that point by talking about hypothetical
> >> issues, but the same point can also be made in terms of modal logic.
> >
> > [MW] And interestingly, I again use possible worlds as an alternative
> > to modal logic. Not that I object to others using modal logic, but I
> > do not see that I am obliged inevitably to do so.
>
> Again, I agree that this is the best approach. I think this is widely
> accepted, by the way: John McCarthy made the same point many years ago
> :
> http://www-formal.stanford.edu/jmc/modality/modality.html
>

> >> Second, the distinction can be seen very clearly in examples such as
> >> the types HumanBeing and FeatherlessBiped, both of which have the
> >> same
> >> extension, but different intensions.  It's irrelevant whether those
> >> two types have the same extension in a 4-d universe or for all time
> >> in a 3-d universe.  They are not provably equivalent according to
> >> the usual definitions of the terms.  Therefore, they are different
> >> by intension, and only accidentally the same by extension.
> >
> > [MW] Again, I do not object to others choosing to follow this route,
> > I only say that I am not inevitably obliged to do so, and in fact do
> > not.
>
> But here I think John is right, and that you are obliged, whether you
> like it or not :-), to accept this distinction.    (03)

[MW] When I am obliged to I will of course accept it, but I am not quite
done yet.    (04)

Perhaps my mistake above was to make a general point, rather than to
address the specific example. Under 4D featherless biped and human being
do not have the same extension. Because under 4D we include things from
the past as well as the present (not to mention things in possible worlds)
then featherless biped will include (from history) T. Rex, and from
mythology those creatures with a goats hind legs and a human torso and head.
My argument would be that for anything that is not provably equivalent,
there
is at least some possible thing in some possible world that is a member of
one but not a member of the other.    (05)

Perhaps a more interesting example is one from mathematics, where (in a
flat 2D plane) the set of equilateral triangles is the same as the set of
equiangular triangles. Since we are dealing with universals here, possible
worlds does not come into it. However, in this case, though my geometry is
a little rusty, I anticipate that it can be proved that these are
equivalent,
so they are just alternative definitions of the same thing.

> > What you say is very "natural" for someone with a background in logic
> > and traditional set theory which has a strong emphasis on predicates
> > equating to sets or types, but this is not an inevitable choice.
>
> Of course, but that is the point. Extensionality *is* the decision to
> identify predicates with sets.    (06)

[MW] Perhaps I am not clear enough. My objection is having to accept
something set like whose membership can change with time. It may be my
error to conflate that with intensionality.

> > For
> > example, I prefer to say that sometimes predicates do not refer to a
> > set (e.g. Russels paradox), and sometimes more than one predicate
> > refers
> > to the same set (e.g. your example above).
>
> A healthy intensionalist position regarding predicates. However, you
> do need to say what it is they DO refer to, if its not a set. Common
> Logic solves that problem for you, by the way.    (07)

[MW] That is useful. However, my definition of nonsense is a
predicate that does not refer to anything.    (08)

Could you remind me how Common Logic solves the problem please?

> [...]
> based on intensional descriptions. The far more commonly used view
> uses Kripke's possible-worlds account of modalities. Kripke's is
> widely accepted as the standard, and certainly gives a more useable
> semantics, which corresponds exactly to your perspective (and has been
> used as the basis of planning systems in AI for the past 30 years)
>

> >> Even with our actual world, it is impossible to deal with extensions
> >> for most of the things we talk about.  Census takers are well aware
> >> of the difficulty of enumerating all the people in a single city.
> >> Imagine trying to enumerate or reason with the set of all mice,
> >> flies, or bacteria in a city.  We must reason with intensional
> >> descriptions because it's impossible to deal with the extensions.
> >
> > [MW] Ah! OK. Here we need to distinguish between what is and what we
> > know. Ontologically, the set of people in a city (at a point in time)
> > does exist, but we may not know all the members. That does not make
> > the
> > set intensional, nor does it mean the set does not exist, it only
> > means
> > we do not have complete knowledge about it.
> >
> > This brings some practical problems, but it is not an ontological
> > reason
> > for intensionality.
>
> Exactly.

> >> Yes, indeed.  Those equations are *intensional* characterizations
> >> of entities that might or might not exist in any world, independent
> >> of whether the ontology happens to be viewed in 3-d or 4-d terms.
> >
> > [MW] I see these as properties that all members happen to have. That
> > might be why a particular set is interesting, rather than another
> one.

> >> In all of your examples of hypotheticals and plans, you were talking
> >> about the intensional characterizations.  So you were doing what I
> >> was suggesting:  talking about intensions.
>
> John is just plain wrong here. Hypothetical talk does not HAVE to be
> interpreted in intensional terms. The Kripke possible-world
> perspective is simpler and more robust, and does not invoke anything
> intensional (though it CAN do so, if one feels that is absolutely
> necessary.)
>

> > [MW] I agree I am "talking about" the same things, but in different
> > terms.
> >
> > Bottom Line
> >
> > There are a number of ontological positions that you need to choose
> > between, and it seems to me that we have not made all the same
> > choices,
> > and this is what is resulting in the differences we have found here.
> >
> > The key choices that seem to me to be relevant here are:
> > 1. Do particulars have temporal parts or not.
> > i.e. are particulars extended in time as well as space (or not)?
>
> Physical (spatiotemporal) particulars. The number 7 is a particular
> but isn't spatiotemporal.  Here's another way to say it: can something
> occupy space without occupying time? Yes (continuants) or no ("4-d")?    (09)

[MW] Yes. At present ISO 15926 treats numbers as classes, and I appreciate
that is not the only, and may not be the best approach.

> > 2. Extensionalism (or not) in particulars.
> > i.e. if particulars coincide, are they the same thing?
>
> Do you mean spatiotemporally coincide? Like a bottle and the glass it
> is made of?    (010)

[MW] Yes, but the bottle and the glass it is made of will only coincide
accidentally. The usual case is that the temporal extent of the glass
is greater than the temporal extent of the bottle, and indeed the bottle
is a state of the glass. This also means that bottle is not a
subtype of glass-object (the whole of its life), but state-of-glass-object

> > 3. Eternalism vs presentism.
> > i.e. is everything that exists what exists now, or is everything that
> > exists include all that exists in the past and the future?
>
> Also possibilism: even hypothetical things exist. But this 'exists'
> has to be taken with a pinch of salt, or at least clarified, as it
> really doesn't mean what people ordinarily mean when they talk about
> the world in English. We say things like, "The hadron supercollider
> didn't exist in the sixteenth century."  I suggest a better (less
> confusing and contentious) way to say it is, the logic admits all
> possible, future and past entities in its universe: they all
> *logically exist*. But only a small fraction of the things that
> *logically exist* ACTUALLY exist (i.e. in the actual world, now). So
> actual existence is a predicate (or a type, if you like) in the
> logical description. To 'logically exist' simply means that it is a
> thing that can be referred to, can be discussed, can be given a name.
> So this is really only another way to say that all names refer, which
> is the basic semantic assumption of logic.    (011)

[MW] Well I'm nearly with you here. For me actually exist means everything
in our universe, for all time, and not restricted to now. That would be
a further restriction.

> > 4. Extensionalism in sets/types/classes vs intensionalism
> > i.e. if two sets/types/classes have the same membership, are they
> > the same.
>
> That is not a option. Sets with the same members are the same set,
> simply by definition of "set". There is no intensionalist option for
> sets. An intensionalist view of classes says that a class is not a set.    (012)

[MW] I agree, and that is what I mean above even if I did not express it
well.  What I am really trying to say is sets whose membership does not
change over time, vs set-like things whose membership does change over time.

> > Now my choices are:
> > - Temporal Parts
> > - Extensionalism for particulars
> > - eternalism
> > - Extensionalism in sets
>
> I agree except for the second. Don't you want to be able to
> distinguish the bottle from the glass out of which it is made? Or have
> I misunderstood what you mean by this?    (013)

[MW] No you have not misunderstood, but I can distinguish between the
bottle and the glass (see above) and when I can't it does not matter,
because any statements I would make about it as one would also be true
of it as the other.    (014)

Regards    (015)

Matthew West
http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/     (016)