Re: [ontolog-forum] Thing and Class

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Matthew West <dr.matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 21:17:00 +0100

Dear Pat,

Matthew, I think we agree on just about everything.

[MW] Yes, but it has been a useful critical review of the details.

I also like the idea of treating a possible world simply as a maximal possible-world-part,

[MW] Good.

and I'm happy with your 4-d extensionality,

[MW] Good

though I still don't really see the actual need for it.

[MW] I value rigor, especially when it reduces choice to almost nothing. If there are choices that can be made then different people will make them differently, so when a large group collaborate in producing an ontology, it will be almost impossible to maintain consistency. Establishing a framework within which a number of trained ontologists can deliver consistent results has always been one of my goals.

Pat