Re: [ontolog-forum] Thing and Class

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Azamat" <abdoul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 12:53:34 +0300

Sunday, September 14, 2008 7:48 PM, John Sowa wrote:    (01)

Intensions can be derived from extensions, but the extensions may lose or
ignore some important distinctions in the definitions.  I
> use the Greek letter delta for a *denotation operator* that maps a type t
> and a world w to the set of instances of t in the world w:    (02)

>    delta:  Types x Worlds -> Sets    (03)

> However, the mapping by delta is not one-to-one, since for a given world
> w, the set delta(HumanBeing,w) may be the same as the set
> delta(FeatherlessBiped,w).  Also, delta(t,w) for any type t that has no
> instances in the world w would be the empty set.    (04)

John,    (05)

I hold with you when you talk of semantic priority of Intension (sense,
content, comprehension, context) over Extension (reference, denotation,
denomination, volume), even though, these two basic parts of meaning are
inversely correlated. And just would like to focus on one principal semantic
distinction. For the totality of all individuals, or the total reference
class, we have a semantic relation (operator, map, or function) of
denotation or designation (for conceptual individuals). Here comes your
delta operator.
But for the totality of all properties, we have another fundamental semantic
relation, representation, say, ro operator, holding between all symbolic
structures (predicate letters, sentences, codes, languages, natural or
formal ) or  (constructs, concepts, statements, theories) and real
properties (states, qualities, quantities, laws, rules, or relationships).
This semantic distinction accounts for the reason why in our deap ontologies
one needs Intensional Classification, generally formalized as a lattice of
intensions (properties) arranged with partial order relationship (which
seems anti-isomorphic to the corresponding lattice of predicates?). This
difference makes all the difference. Take ''number''. Many good minds still
thinking that it is a class, a  multitude of units, although in Universal
Arithmetic, following Euclid's Geometry, it was indicated:    (06)

''By Number we understand not so much a Multitude of Unities, as the
abstracted Ration of any Quantity, to another Quantity of the same kind,
which we take for Unity   "
So, a number (natural, rational, or real) as a ratio is a sort of relation.
It has richer classification prospects, while viewing Number as a property
(possessed by an indefinite quantity of units, items or individuals and
zero) exemplified as individual numbers, all sorts of numerals, or
mathematical sets, abstract collection of numbers (or symbols). What, again,
can be ordered as a lattice of number-related properties.    (07)

Azamat    (08)