Re: [ontolog-forum] Thing and Class

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2008 10:43:54 -0400
Pat,    (01)

I forgot to mention an important qualification in my last note:
if you have a version of modal logic with iterated modalities,
such as (possibly necessary p) or (necessarily possible p),
then the language of the laws and facts would have to include
modal operators.    (02)

Each step of that construction strips off the first modal
operator at the front of a statement, but by itself, it
can't remove all of them.  In any particular version of modal
logic, there may be identities that may simplify the modal
combinations further.  But in general, the laws and facts
may still have some modal operators.    (03)

Dunn explicitly mentioned that point, but he also said that
for many, if not most applications, the language of the laws
and facts could be pure FOL without modal operators.    (04)