Re: [ontolog-forum] Thing and Class

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Matthew West <dr.matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2008 20:50:56 +0100

Dear Deborah,

Also needed - now the design information needs to adapt and service the entire building lifecycle, most parts will be replaced sooner or later. Only the WHOLE building will remain.

[MW] This is a particularly interesting phenomenon, the replaceable part. Somehow there is something that is the same thing, for example, the door to my office, even if the bit of wood is completely replaced with another, or perhaps a bit of glass. It is still the door to my office. Often (but not necessarily always) these replaceable parts are also functional components. On the other hand, when the whole disappears so do all the replaceable parts (e.g. my office door) even though the bit of wood may be salvaged and used in another building.

Of course ISO 15926 is able to handle this kind of situation.

Regards

Matthew West

http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/