Re: [ontolog-forum] Thing and Class

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Matthew West <dr.matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2008 20:50:56 +0100
Dear Peter,    (01)

> A part is the lowest level in an assembly.  Some parts are of course
> assemblies in their own right, but it depends on point of view.  If an
> assembled part is purchased as a ready-to-use completed assembly, a
> using organization's bill of material will often not reflect that
> breakdown (because for them it is a remove-and-replace item), while the
> part supplier's internal design and manufacturing information systems
> will necessarily show that breakdown because they have to make it.
>
> Note:  IEEE standards project P1175.4 is currently working on a
> developing a standardized set of concepts for linking assembly and part
> structures to system behaviors.  If you might have an interest in
> working to refine those concepts into practical ontologies / data
> structures for describing all these kinds of interrelationships, the
> goal of upcoming project P1175.5, please let me know.    (02)

[MW] As it happens I have done quite a bit of work in this space,
culminating
in an ISO standard, ISO 15926-2 an asset lifecycle integration schema in
EXPRESS. You can find the schema here.
http://www.tc184-sc4.org/wg3ndocs/wg3n1328/lifecycle_integration_schema.html    (03)

It was produced by and for the Oil Industry, but it is generally applicable.
As a by blow, you  will see that we settled on the "thing and class" that
are the title of this thread - not that I have any strong preference.    (04)

You can also find some papers on my personal website (below) that explain
the background to the data models. (There seem to be some problems with
my service provider for my personal website at present, so you may find it
impossible or very slow to access it at present).    (05)

Regards    (06)

Matthew West
http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/      (07)